Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Why ABBA Adoption?

For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear,

but you have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry,

Abba, Father.

Romans 8:15


I stumbled over this agency before we had officially decided to adopt domestic. Most of the people we know that have adopted went out of the country. That seemed like a great option and we knew we would have a lot of resources and friends that had gone before us through the whole process. But, I had one conversation in passing that changed our whole course. Last summer there was a doctor at camp that I crossed paths with one day. We were chatting in the boys’ health center and she mentioned her youngest little boy was adopted. Of course, my ears perked up and I asked as many questions I could without sounding too nosey. After summer was over and our family was settled in at home, I checked out the agency online and sent off for some information. Little did I know what was to come…Let’s just say there was a lot more going on that term at camp than kids enjoying the waterslides!

Within few weeks I had a phone call from Kandi, the president of the agency. She made herself available for any questions and wanted to know more about our family. Over the course of a few conversations I knew I had to meet this lady. I could listen for hours to Kandi talk about her work and ministry at Abba. As Anne Shirley would say, she was a “kindred spirit.” I wanted to know more about her ministry with these women and how I could be a part of it! She kept saying “it is not just about placing a baby in a home.” At first I wanted to contest that statement---“oh yes it is! It is all about the baby and finding that baby a loving family!” I soon began to see what she meant. ABBA’s mission reaches far beyond placing a child. They believe God is at work on all sides. They come alongside these moms. They love them with the love of Christ. They serve them-from driving them to get groceries to doctor appointments to shopping to those fast food cravings. (BK just satisfied her craving today with a McD’s burger) They speak Truth to them, and attend Bible class daily. They help them with recovery and reconciliation. They show the mom the worth of the child she is carrying . They provide a home, a haven, a place of safety. These moms are removed from their unhealthy circumstances, taken care of, and have a Godly support system surrounding them.

There are so many other alternatives a birth mother could choose. ABBA not only shares with these ladies what God’s choice would be, they walk alongside them throughout the whole process, providing Godly wisdom, Biblical truth and prayerful hearts. These moms leave changed! And, in our case…SAVED!!!

BK…I love you and pray for you and our unborn baby. He is amazing, huh? He has already touched our lives in huge ways. I am so proud of you and would not want another woman in the world to have been growing this baby in her belly for the past 8 months. You really are a hero! I am so thankful to get to be a part of your story.

Little Man, as I said, you really have already touched your mommies and daddy’s lives’ in huge ways, yet you have not even taken your first breath. And, I can’t wait to watch that happen...to watch you fill your lungs with air and see your face. We are counting down the days until we get to hold you. Your sisters are dreaming up names for you…some good and some not so good. You are our little prince. We pray you are healthy and we are trusting God with your little body. I hope to see you next week at your last ultrasound!

3 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

I'm proud of you for keeping up with your blogging! You'll be glad you did and I know that I am not alone in saying that I am glad you are! I cannot wait to meet your little man!!!

Shelley said...

What an incredible journey you are on! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Berg said...

I can't wait to hear more news about this amazing process and the ABBA group. What a special ministry! Your family is in my prayers and I can't wait to meet the newest member of the Houston family :)